Wednesday 15 May 2013

Installing and configuring Dropbox on Linux server

Installation


The Dropbox daemon works fine on all 32-bit and 64-bit Linux servers. To install, run the following command in your Linux terminal.

32-bit:


cd ~ && wget -O - "https://www.dropbox.com/download?plat=lnx.x86" | tar xzf -



64-bit:


cd ~ && wget -O - "https://www.dropbox.com/download?plat=lnx.x86_64" | tar xzf -



Next, run the Dropbox daemon from the newly created .dropbox-dist folder.


~/.dropbox-dist/dropboxd



If you're running Dropbox on your server for the first time, you'll be asked to copy and paste a link in a working browser to create a new account or add your server to an existing account. Once you do, your Dropbox folder will be created in your home directory.

Problem I Faced


I've got a Linux server running in Amazon AWS and OS is on a 10GB drive and I use a Amazon EBS drive attached for storage.

Now I wanted to set up Dropbox on this machine. But I haven't synched yet because there won't be enough room in my home dir. My /home is on my 10GB drive since I never use it and all my data is on the 2TB drive mounted in /media/.

What is the best way to set this up? Dropbox doesn't support moving the folder in Linux yet. I found a script to move the folder but it seems outdated. Perhaps I can use symlinks in some clever way? Or maybe move my /home folder to my SATA drive?

Solution


You gave the answer yourself, Use symlinks. Move your Dropbox folder to your HDD, then create a symlink in your home folder For example: ln -s /media/MyHDD/Dropbox /home/yourname/


Thanks for visting our blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment